Sunday, July 29, 2012

Socks... Sunday?

Whoa. Okay, I seem to have lost a day somewhere in there.

Here's a quick look at what's been eating the past day two days - the first of Bandit's socks.

This is my second cast-on for this particular sock, after two gauge swatches. Unable to get an exact 8 stitches per inch, I cast on at first with size 3s, which gave me approximately 8.5 spi. However, seing how loose the resulting fabric was, and reading some warnings on Rav that the yarn was prone to wearing through unless knit much tighter, I ripped out approximately two inches of cuff and started again on 1s, making a significantly denser fabric. To compensate, I increased the number of cast-on stitches from 76 to 96. This caused quite a bit of uneasiness regarding fit, and quite a bit of chasing Bandit around, brandishing needles at him. After he assured me that yes, the sock would go on over his heel, I started in on trying to figure out how much cuff he preferred, versus how much more cuff I could possibly bear to knit.

Now I'm off to hold up a measuring tape to the back of his heel. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment