Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Rundown.

It's almost midnight here and I'm staring and exhausted. I've been awake for over sixteen hours and these are some of the things I've done:

- Attended my first three classes of the semester. This is a great victory for me, because up until yesterday I was unsure whether I'd be able to register for classes at all. Still, it turns out that being continuously on campus from around 8:45 AM to around 5 PM is... not recommended, especially not without a good water bottle.
- Dealt with patch 5.0.4. For those of you who don't play Warcraft, it means (in the most basic terms) that the rules of the world are changing in preparation for the next big chapter in the world story. Which is nice and exciting in theory, but grumpymaking to deal with after a day on campus. My character's abilities and playstyle are completely different now, and don't even get me started on the changes to the achievement system.
- Tried to design a sweater.

Okay, that might have been overly ambitious. Then again... maybe not. I've done it before, after all. About a year and a half ago, I knit my very first sweater. It was of my own design, with no guidelines other than a vague mental concept of how the construction should go, a clumsy little gauge swatch, and a cable pattern. I finished this sweater before I'd ever finished my first shawl, or learned how to knit socks, or even wound a cake of yarn on a ball winder.

It didn't turn out too badly. A little on the small side, the cables got lost in the fuzziness of the alpaca, and you can tell that it's not meant to be worn with a bulky skirt.

Now I have more experience. But I also have greater ambitions. That first sweater was knit bottom-up and entirely in the round with no seaming; the armholes are basically just slits, constructed in the same way that buttonholes are. Now I want to make something complicated, something exquisite. Something that requires shaping, and lace panels, and maybe ruffles, and probably a whole lot of seaming and finishing. Something that would be worthy of publishing and sharing with the wider knitting world, which means something that translates well into a variety of sizes. Something...

...something too complicated for me to think about right now. Maybe tomorrow. Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment