Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sock Toes Saturday

Well, for the second time in about a week, my computer has revolted. The first time it was a pretty clear case of malware; this time I fear something might have gone wrong with the hard drive itself. After a system restore, the computer is mostly functional. Mostly.

You know, I'd call myself a computer-addicted person without hesitation, but it really isn't until my computer goes wrong that I feel the full force of it. Having your computer betray me feels almost like having my left arm suddenly refuse to cooperate. The one good thing about all the diagnostics and diskchecking is that it's the perfect time to knit. You can't do anything else that would take you away from the computer, and you can't simply sit and stare at the computer until you scream at it. Knitting is my enforced meditation. As long as I don't need to take a look at the next line in the pattern that I can't access.

This is why Radiance is still lingering with a few rows left until completion (although I may try to extend the last ruffle until I use up all my remaining yarn). I've cast on for my mother's hat instead. I'm trying out Judy's Magic Cast-On for the first time, as practice for future toe-up socks, and I'd just like to say that I have a few quibbles about the description.

"It's an easy to learn, fast method that starts at the very end of the toe and works the first time, every time."

Yes, it's easy to learn. Yes, it's pretty fast. Yes, of course, it starts at the end of the toe. But does it work the first time and every time?

That was my second attempt. While I was trying to knit the first row with the top two DPNs, the bottom two merrily unraveled the stitches they were holding. Yes, that's very much within the realm of user error, as was my first attempt, in which I wrapped the yarn so tightly I simply could not knit into the stitches. My third attempt also ended in failure due to circular cables tangling together. But when I finally got it together on my fourth try?

Beautiful and seamless.

No comments:

Post a Comment