Sunday, November 11, 2012

Winter is coming

The temperature here dropped within a week from the mid-60s to around 30 degrees F. We got our first sticking-snow yesterday. I've been wearing Radiance wrapped twice around my neck as a kind of shawl-scarf, and it's kept me surprisingly warm, considering its laciness. (I am entirely happy to attribute this to the magical powers of Malabrigo lace. Mmm... Malabrigo.) Once again, I highly recommend this pattern to anyone who enjoys or wants to learn to knit lace.

I have surprisingly little in the way of other winter accessories knit up for myself, though. My bamboo fingerless gloves are hardly warm enough for real winter wear, and my only hat is a store-bought one. I've been meaning to knit myself a nice winter hat for around two years, now, and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

First, though, I should do something about my mother's hat. I think it's been made pretty clear that I am not cut out to be a hat designer. Soon I'll be frogging what little I have so far, and looking for a suitable (existing!) pattern for this yarn. Then I'll try to see if I can finish the hat before I go home for Thanksgiving.

Oh! I forgot to mention before, I seem to have acquired a new knitting group! A few girls from my department meet every other weekend to knit, chat, have delicious tea and home-baked scones and cookies, and listen to awesome nerdy things. (The first time it was the first episode of Firefly; yesterday it was a few episodes of a BBC radio comedy called Cabin Pressure.) It's such a nice feeling to be among people I know I have more than one thing in common with, and I'm very much looking forward to our next session after Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment