Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dyeing adventures.

A week or so ago, I tried my hand at dyeing some yarn.

I started out by doing a lot of reading up on the subject; this three-part tutorial on stovetop dyeing is what I eventually decided to emulate. I got some pretty cheap yarn and some Easter egg dye tablets, collected the necessary containers and such, and warned Bandit that his apartment was going to smell like vinegar for a few days.

I wound yarn while he played Halo, and dyed a few skeins while we watched the Oscars. It was obvious to me even then that I was hooked.

I offloaded all of the orangey-pink skeins onto Amy, and got some better yarn and some food coloring. (The problem with Easter egg dye tablets is that, well, they produce Easter egg-y colors.) I took requests from Amy and Luna, and experimented with mixing different shades.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment