Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Knitting Confessions #1.

I'm joining a brand-new link-up hosted by Brandy of Stitched Up In Toronto! She came up with a great concept which I'm sure everyone can relate to and which will inspire many different kinds of posts from different kinds of people.

Like most things in the world, knitting has a set of rules and conventions. Sometimes, we knitters break them. This is my knitting confession.

Confession #1: I'm a lace knitter who never uses lifelines.

I don't even know how to put in a lifeline or rip back to one. I've never done it before. I've never needed to.

I often peruse the "how do I start learning lace?" threads on Rav. The advice in such threads often boils down to the same themes: take lots of breaks, knit under really good lighting in a place with few distractions, don't knit dark colors (or if you must, put a white sheet on your knees), make sure there's enough contrast between your yarn and needles, and above all, lifelines lifelines lifelines.

I do none of these things.

I've found that the only things I need in order to knit lace are the yarn, the needles, the ability to read the pattern accurately, the ability to read the knitting to make sure it matches the pattern, and a lack of any particular trepidation about knitting lace.

And time. Sometimes, lots and lots of time. I won't claim that I've never had to go back to fix a mistake in my lace knitting - but I don't rip. I tink back, stitch by stitch, carefully and laboriously. I don't curse while I do it. I keep track of where I am, where the mistake happened and where I should be after I fix it.

It works for me.

Knitting Confessions

Join this week's link-up here.

8 comments:

  1. I am so excited! Thanks for joining my link up! I always read about lifelines, too, but don't really (know how to) use them, but I do very little intricate lace. Your lace is all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only rebel around here. I too knit lace and have never used a lifeline. Frankly, I'm not sure I could put one in! I have had to correct mistakes and do it the same way - slowly and methodically. I think the most important thing is to learn to read your knitting as well as the chart so you can tell almost right away if there is an error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about this topic, but this was an interesting read and your work is incredible! You're so talented, Kaiya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously impressive! That is some intricate lace too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have just found my lace knitting twin, because that is EXACTLY how I work with lace knits as well. Sometimes if I've carefully knit back a very long row to correct a mistake I think about adding a lifeline, but I've never actually done it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say you are all CRAZY knitters! I am a crazy knitter as well, but for many other reasons. I use lifelines almost religiously. Any time I have opted to not use them has resulted in wasted time, sometimes ruined (expensive) yarn, and even a few tears. Not to mention that I almost always somehow manage to put all the blame on the man. Kudos to you ladies who live on the edge. For the sake of peace in my household, I'm a firm practitioner of lifelines.

    Knitting in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting is amazing, I am a total mess at lace, maye I have attention deficit, or frankly cannot count to four on a regular basis, I am in awe of you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete